MARKET DRIVERS AND TRENDS
Sustainability, convenience, efficacy, and going beyond the basic functions of cleaning to provide extra caring for the hands, clothes, and surfaces are key trends impacting consumer demand and new product development in the H&IC market. Consumers are more informed than ever on the value vs. performance of their products and seek out brands that deliver all the above.
OPPORTUNITY IN THE FASTEST GROWING US HOME CARE MARKET SEGMENTS
We break into detail on the Key Trends driving innovation and customer intrigue for Hard Surface Cleaning, Dishwash, and Laundry. Each heading will lead you to more in-depth information on the highlight we provide below it!
- Multifunctionality and it’s time-saving and eco-friendly appeal
- Holistic approaches to a balanced, clean and safer home
- The desire for continuous and long-lasting cleaning power
- Saving time, energy and water by reducing pre-wash efforts
- Adding multiple benefits in machine detergents
- More than skin safe, but beneficial to the skin
- Extracts and essential oils are no longer just extras
- Changes in laundry routines to better care for fabrics
- High-efficiency vs high waste
- Preferences in functionality and product breadth in the household
- Skin-friendly and safe are synonymous to consumers
FOCUS ON THE ENVIRONMENTAL ASPECTS OF SUSTAINABILITY
Consumers are more in tune with the fact that eco-responsibility is increasingly important, not only personally but at multiple levels of awareness and are increasingly demanding of transparency from the brands they use. Green and natural in-home care focuses on the environmental factor of sustainability as protecting our natural resources, this continues to be the main driver behind the growth of natural household care products.
Learn more about the actions in which consumers are taking a look at sustainability and the products they purchase in our post dedicated to sustainability.
Formulations that allow for refills, especially concentrates have become a go-to solution for waste reduction in all applications, especially in direct to consumer platforms. The fact that 33% of consumers believe that being environmentally friendly is important and that eco-friendly has become the top claim in Hard Surface cleaning, and with 20 and 22% of consumers of dishwasher detergents and hand dishwashing liquid are also looking for this claim, respectively. This has driven the rise of just-add-water systems for spray cleaners across the board. Furthermore, this has increased interest in direct-to-consumer platforms or subscription boxes, in order to stand out there has to be a differentiator; as an example, a complete homecare kit that is versatile for use on clothing or dish, is biodegradable, and plastic-free, or reduced plastic.
The interest in waste reduction has also seen a shift to powder or capsule launches in Laundry Detergent/Fabric Softener combos, as it reduces the need for heavy plastic containers, and there is nothing to throw away after completing laundry cycle, like dryer sheet users. In dish care, we see novel launches such as reusable bottle cleaners, for those trying to reduce the plastic bottle waste of single-use water bottles. Here effervescent tablets are activated with a small amount of water and just rinsed, conveniently taking the hassle out of cleaning inside, the copious rinse of traditional soap and water, and allows consumers to clean on the go.
As we think of being wasteful as consumers, Laundry is seeing this in the amount of water used per cycle and consumers are looking at the ability to do micro loads, which would need much less detergent, but as consumers feel dosing is not clear on standard detergents, there is room for growth in either concentrates and concise directions for varied load sizes or a product line extension. As we talked about taking care of your clothes for longer in the laundry section, as well as added benefits of skincare ingredients to dish wash, both of these consumer benefits can be combined into one when you think of hand wash only clothes and a detergent targeted at those delicates specifically.
Despite the fact that green remains relatively niche in the home care market as compared to the beauty care market, natural home care products are starting to move into the mainstream due to concerns of exposure to harsh chemicals, and continue to evolve in terms of advanced formulations, improved standards of efficacy and costs. People are especially concerned with the surfaces that come in contact with food and their family. Products made with familiar ingredients such as essential oils, extracts, and natural antimicrobials ease those concerns, resonating with those DIY consumers who are very familiar with ingredients such as vinegar, and baking soda, we see those ingredients again being featured prominently on the packaging. However, there is still an internal struggle in the minds of consumers as they are skeptical about the effectiveness of natural home care products vs. traditional formulations, but are more concerned with their safety. For all the reasons stated in this section, major retailers are initiating “safer” and “reduced waste” platforms in their stores in regards to homecare products and consumers are quickly taking note. In conclusion, touting the environmental aspects of the products is only beneficial to your brand if they are supported by proven efficacy and safety profiles.
Sources: Kline & Co., Mintel GNPD, ©Euromonitor 2016, trendhunter
FORMULATION SOLUTIONS TO MEET MARKET TRENDS
FIND CERTIFIED AND NATURAL (NON-CERTIFIED) INGREDIENTS IN OUR WEBSITE:
In the top, right-hand side menu, you can select ingredients by certification standard or by green attribute.
EFFECTIVE AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY CLEANING ACROSS ALL YOUR APPLICATIONS
- Ready-to-Use formula, No added scent necessary
- 3-minute broad-spectrum bacteria efficacy
- Environmentally sustainable, EPA compliant
- “Clean Label” as the chemical name is not on the not-safe list
DELIVERING SUPERIOR CLEANING POWER + SUSTAINABILITY PROFILE
Tegotens® SD 100 – For concentrated dishwash, unit-dose products
- Low foaming surfactant for automatic dish wash
- Reduce spotting, and that does not leave a bitter taste in dish wash applications as standard non-ionics do.
- 100% vegetable-based material
FORMULATING FOR THE GROWING FABRIC SOFTENERS MARKET
- Cost and performance booster
- Boosts fragrance intensity and staying power
- Increases softening at low performance
- 86% active, biodegradable
- Outstanding softening properties. Dispersions up to 20% can be readily prepared at ambient conditions. Imparts good anti-static properties to cotton and synthetic fabrics.
CARING FOR THE HANDS
- Vegetable-based system with excellent mildness and moisturizing properties. Skin-friendly and nitrogen-free.
- 30-second bacteria kill time in both liquid and wipe formats
- Contains moisturizers for skin compatibility
FORMULATING EFFECTIVE SPRAY APPLICATIONS WITH LONG-LASTING BENEFITS
- Self-cleaning effect: Treated surfaces result in a nanostructured layer where the adhesion of dust and dirt is reduced to a minimum. Water is repelled from the surface and become dirt-repellent and self-cleaning when subjected to rain or rinsing with plain water
- All Purpose Cleaner with Rewocare® 755
- “Easier Next Time” Bathroom Cleaner with Rewocare® 755
- Car Polish with Tegotop® 105
- Carpet Cleaner with Odor Removal featuring Tego® Sorb A 30
- Drainage gel with malodor absorber – Tego® Sorb A 30
- Kitchen Cleaning Spray with Tegotens SD 100
- Leather Care Gel with Rewoderm® LI S 80
- Manual Dishwashing Gel with Rewoderm® LI S 80