INCI: Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate (nano)Product Category: Thickener
LAPONITE-XLG XR is a synthetic layered silicate with low heavy metal content. It is insoluble in water but hydrates and swells to give clear and colourless colloidal dispersions in water or aqueous solutions of alcohols. At concentrations of 2% or greater in water, highly thixotropic gels are obtained.
The unique shear thinning and thixotropic rheology of LAPONITE-XLG XR improves the skin feel of personal care products. Formulations will have a light, non-sticky texture. This product enhances stability of emulsions and keeps particles, pigments, or solid actives suspended; it is a very effective agent for stabilizing surfactant-free oil-in-water emulsions. It has been sterilized by gamma irradiation.
Features & Benefits
- Application range pH 6.5 and higher
- Thixotropic thickener
- Prevents sedimentation of effect pigments and other suspended particles
- For clear and transparent gels
- Atomises well in aerosols or pump sprays
- Stabilizes oil-in-water emulsions
- Compatible with water-miscible solvents
- Application range pH 5.5 or higher
- Works over a wider temperature range
- Does not contain crystalline silica
- Stable to UV
- Not susceptible to microbial attack
- Reduces oily feel of emulsions
Applications for LAPONITE-XLG XR
- Cream & Lotion
- Sunscreen Product
- Depilatory Cream
- Bath & Shower Gel
- Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Liquid Makeup
- Liquid Eyeliner
- Alpha Hydroxy acid creams
- Exfoliant and astringent cleansers
- Decorative cosmetics
The recommended laboratory mixing equipment is a mechanical stirrer fitter with a propeller blade.
Add the product to deionized water (at 15 – 25°C) in a steady stream over 10 – 30 seconds with rapid agitation. Mixer speed should be high enough to make a vortex that will cause the stream of LAPONITE powder to wet out into the water without the creation of clumps. Mixing should be continued for up to 20 minutes. When dispersion is complete, this product produces a clear, colourless, and low viscosity pre-mix.
Viscosity development will occur when the pre-mix is combined with other formulation components. The pre-mix can be affected by temperature, electrolytes, or by pH level. Recommended agents are citric acid, lactic acid, or sodium dihydrogen phosphate.
Lithium Magnesium Sodium Silicate (nano)